Tuesday 3 November 2009

Chewy Pumpkin Biscuits



The humongous pumpkin I purchased on Saturday was more than enough for the cheesecake I'd planned on making. So, after cutting up and steaming the pumpkin, I separated the cooked, yellowy-orange flesh into two portions - one for the cheesecake, and one for something else. I wondered about freezing steamed pumpkin for later, but my sweet tooth overruled me and I decided on pumpkin biscuits!

You're probably already aware that I'm a fan of the fast and furious, throw-everything-together-and-stir method of baking. So, I came up with a lazy easy recipe for chewy pumpkin biscuits while roasting the pumpkin seeds. The amount of ingredients are fairly approximate, as usual.

Ingredients:
1/3 large pumpkin (steamed, then mashed)
150gm butter
300gm caster sugar
150gm plain flour
150gm self-raising flour
cinnamon (to taste)
nutmeg (to taste)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Cream butter and sugar together.

Add both kinds of flour to butter/sugar mixture, and as much (or as little) of the cinnamon and nutmeg as you like. Give it a slight stir to make sure the spices are fairly evenly distributed throughout.

If your steamed pumpkin flesh is quite watery (as mine was), then try to drain as much of the liquid out as possible, otherwise, your batter may end up far too liquidy. When that's done, add the pumpkin to the dry mixture, and stir everything together.

Once all the parts are mixed together (like brown mush), grab your baking tray (either greased or with baking paper on it) and drop dollops of the batter on it. Use a tablespoon to help you.

Pop it into the baking try and bake for 15-20 minutes, let them cool, then destroy them with your mouth! They're really good dunked into a nice mug of hot chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Looks delicious! I want some :) Thanks for sharing recipe... sounds like a keeper.

    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look really good
    great for this time of the year for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, let me know if you do make these :)

    ReplyDelete